Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Day 22: At Sea

Life aboard Serenity is full of opportunity. I have told you about the activities I’ve chosen, but there are many more I have not mentioned. If I were to set out to experience each and every option Crystal offers on the world cruise, I feel sure it would take several cruises to do so. Take art, for example. Art instructors offer several classes in such varied mediums as needlepoint, origami, jewelry making, painting, and scrapbooking. Fine art pieces are displayed daily in the Crystal Cove on deck 5. The Art Director is available to discuss the pieces and personally negotiate the purchase of the piece that catches your eye. The Crystal Trio provides live music during the noon hour, and this creates a relaxed atmosphere for viewing the art works up close.

Nearby on deck 5, I took a few minutes to view the large flat screen TV showing real-time location and ambient conditions on Serenity. Seeing the location in latitude and longitude along with the ship speed in knots, I was reminded of my early days at sea and the many cruises I have taken over the years. And yet none was as pleasant and enjoyable as the Crystal Serenity World Cruise.
One of the lectures I attended today was Part 2 of the life of James Cook. The lecturer, Rex Ziak, drew a large and eager audience. He uses post-it notes to mark the journeys of this expert sailor and navigator. A master storyteller, Rex left us hanging by saying, “And that is the subject of my next lecture.” I’ll be there to hear part 3!

After the formal “French” dinner this evening, I attended the Crystal Society reception where several people were recognized for their multiple Crystal cruises. There is a true feeling of family among the passengers and crew, and this is nowhere more clearly seen than when returning passengers and officers celebrate their milestone cruises together.

Following the reception, I lingered in the Palm Court on deck 12 to visit with friends. What a pleasant way to end a day at sea.

Tomorrow: at sea.

No comments:

Post a Comment