Friday, January 22, 2010

Day 12: At Sea

It seems everything on the schedule today was to my liking, so I did it all. After breakfast on Lido deck 12, my favorite breakfast spot, I attended two lectures back-to-back. Martin and Tanis Jordan, the couple who lectured a few days ago about their canoe trip in Surinam, came back to tell of their river expedition in Peru 30 years ago. It was another harrowing tale of high adventure, indigenous tribes and motorized canoes, called peki-pekis. Along the way they saw giant otters, green-winged macaws, river turtles, and beautiful butterflies. The river water was filled with piranhas and stingrays. They caught a giant toad that had kept them awake the night before with its strange sounds. One morning they awoke to find jaguar tracks near their hammocks. I have visited Peru several times but I never saw it this wild and untamed.

The second lecturer of the morning was Retired Brigadier General Halley who spoke this time on qualities of leadership. Both he and the Jordans are outstanding examples of the variety and quality of speakers Crystal brings in for its passengers.

Lunch was a real treat - an American Classic Buffet served around the Neptune Pool on deck 12. I topped off my lunch with hand-dipped sugar-free ice cream.

If all this was not enough, I also went to the gym, had a massage and attended two concerts today. West End Singing Star Emma Sinclair gave a wonderful performance this evening. It was a grand way to end the day.



Tomorrow: at sea on our way to Rio.

No comments:

Post a Comment