Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Day 3: At Sea

My day started with a relaxed breakfast in the Lido Cafe on Lido deck 12. I had felt the ship moving quite a bit more this morning, and from my seat in the cafe I could see the cause - the sky was overcast horizon to horizon, the winds had picked up, and the sea had become choppy. Later in the afternoon we had a period of light rain. My greatest challenge today was finding my sea legs.


The morning Special Interest Lecturer was Brigadier General Nick Halley, U.S. Army, Retired. He spoke on the challenges our troops and our national leaders face in the Middle East with the confidence and conviction of a proven military leader. When he asked the veterans in the audience to stand, I was proud to join the many veterans who rose to their feet, and it was gratifying to hear the general's words of thanks on behalf of the American people. We spoke briefly after his lecture, and agreed that except for the Army/Navy game, we could root for the "other guys" on the gridiron field. He will be with the cruise until we arrive in Rio, and has a number of additional lectures scheduled.

Beyond question today's highlight was the evening show of Broadway vocalist Michel Bell. He sang everything from Nat King Cole selections to New Orleans-style jazz to Broadway hits from West Side Story and Man of La Mancha. He saved the best for last and gave a moving performance of "Ol' Man River" from Show Boat. I was tempted to return for the second show! "Ol' Man River" brought pleasant memories to mind of the times my wife and I rode the Mississippi Queen paddle boat up and down the river, from New Orleans to well beyond St. Louis.

Tomorrow is another day at sea.

No comments:

Post a Comment