Monday, January 18, 2010

Day 8: Devil’s Island, French Guiana

Devil’s Island is one of the destinations on the Crystal World Cruise that I have never visited before in all my years of travel. That is, until today! We had been warned that going ashore can be tricky due to weather and tide conditions, so I was happy the captain deemed it safe for us to take the short tender ride from our anchorage to the Isle Royale, one of the three islands that made up the French penal colony. It was very warm and humid and this small island has only a simple dirt road connecting the various buildings that made up the administration and minimum security sections of the penal colony. I have never seen so many coconut trees. I didn’t stay long, but it was long enough to say I’ve been there! And to prove it, I posed at the sign.

Crystal planned this excursion, and provided for our comfort there by setting up a cold water station (very popular) and placing tour guides strategically around the island to give short talks and answer questions. Ana, the first guide, met us as we walked off the pier. She pointed out we were just 7 miles from the mainland of French Guiana, which we could see in the distance.


The fellows in military uniform were rather casually watching the pier. Devil’s Island serves a purpose now as a tracking station for rockets taking satellites into space, so I assume they were there to protect that facility. After lift-off, the rockets fly directly over the islands. Even though the troops were friendly and happily posed for a picture with me, I was still relieved that they didn’t try to keep me there. I guess you could say I escaped Devil’s Island and lived to tell the tale.

The ship got underway again at 1:00 and after lunch and a massage, I spent the afternoon relaxing and enjoying life aboard the Crystal Serenity.

Tomorrow: a day at sea.

2 comments:

  1. So enjoy keeping up with your worldly adventures!
    we love you -
    Clay and Benjamin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a great trip! Fry and Todd at MSI would like to see the accommodations, Can you post some pictures of the ship and rooms?

    ReplyDelete