Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Day 9: At Sea

I took my time getting to breakfast this morning, and why not? After all, that’s one of the nice things about a day at sea. I like having breakfast in the Lido Café on Lido deck 12. The waiters knew my name after the first day, and now they greet me with, “Good morning, Mr. Jesse. Do you want green or English Breakfast tea today, Mr. Jesse?” Crystal Serenity has an amazing crew.

At 10:00, I attended a lecture by adventure travelers Martin and Tanis Jordan. They told of their canoe trip 30 years ago in Surinam, which used to be Dutch Guiana. I have had some exciting travel experiences, but nothing like the story they had to tell of an overturned canoe tossing them both into the river rapids, struggling to survive in the rushing water, making their way to a village on the river’s edge, and almost incredibly deciding to continue their journey after losing most of their food and other provisions. They did recover their camera and film and showed some amazing photos from their trip.

A massage and dinner rounded out my rather quiet day. After three ports of call, I found today’s pace to be quite relaxing.

Tomorrow: a day at sea. We will cross the Equator and there is a celebration planned for 11:15a. King Neptune and his Mermaid Queen will pay us a special visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment