Sunday, January 17, 2010

Day 7: At Sea

After breakfast I ventured out for the first time on the Lido deck 12 poolside. The fresh air and steady breeze was very refreshing. I sat in the shade for some time and thoroughly enjoyed the relaxing setting.

Just before lunch I visited the spa for a back and neck massage by Albert. I enjoyed it so much I scheduled another massage for tomorrow afternoon.

Brian and Judy Robertson, our Virtuoso Voyager Club Hosts, had told me under no circumstances should I miss the Sunday Grand Gala Buffet. I’m glad I took their advice. I have seen many lavish table scenes, but none could compare to what I saw today. To celebrate the occasion, I had a glass of champagne with my lunch of lobster and shrimp.

Tonight’s formal dinner put everyone in a festive mood. Just prior to dinner, I posed for my photo with the ship photographer.

After dinner I joined several of my tablemates at the Crystal Society reception. This reception is only for those who have been on one or more previous Crystal cruises. Special recognition was given to several returning guests. Quite a few have been on more than 100 cruises, and one guest counts this voyage as her 231st cruise on Crystal. From my conversations with my fellow passengers, it is clear Crystal Cruises has a very loyal following and I’m certainly not surprised.

The show this evening was called My Favorite Things. It was the best show I’ve seen in a long time. It featured songs from Rogers and Hammerstein musicals, all shows I saw on Broadway after the war. Of course the music was outstanding. Equally entertaining was the singing and dancing of the Crystal Ensemble of Singers and Dancers. The show ended with Shall We Dance from The King and I which is set in Siam (modern day Thailand). The elaborate costumes in this grand finale production number reminded me of the many times I traveled to Asia and my good fortune to have had a long career in the travel industry.

Tomorrow: Devil’s Island

No comments:

Post a Comment